Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Just say no

I was quite disturbed yesterday when I got to thinking about how put upon I have been.  I was given a piece of jewelry to fix, then was volunteered for a huge job at my daughter's school.  I already have a Tuesday obligation at Brendan's school and the "job" at Audrey's school is to take photographs of every child in the preschool.  I didn't count how many kids, that would have added fuel to the fire.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being able to help at both schools or volunteering to fix other's jewelry.  You know there is a big "BUT" coming so here it is.  I work from home. I make jewelry as a business.  This is the year I am putting it all out there to be profitable.  That means, I have roughly 15 hours without children a week, not counting after they go to sleep.  I love my work and think about it even if I am not actively making pretties.  I want to have my hands dirty with metals or dyes or enamels. But, I feel crappy about saying, "no" to volunteering.  It feels like I am being selfish.  So, is it okay to be selfish?  Yes. 

No more fixing jewelry for others, excluding of course, my mother.  I will say "no" to the next huge task at either school.  I have about 20 items that I need to photograph and add to my Etsy shop.  I have to say, "yes" to my business.  I have to put time, energy, and creative thought towards my business if it is to soar. I have purchased the book, I'd Rather be in the Studio, by Alyson B Stanfield | art biz coach (http://artbizcoach.com) and have downloaded some Etsy videos to focus on my businesses goals and how to obtain them.  This is scary, but if I am to do what I absolutely love to do, I must take action and believe in my dream. 

I want my adorable children to see me give it my all.  I want them to believe in themselves and to work at what they LOVE to do.  Don't you want that for yourself and the ones you love?

1 comment: